Meditation For Beginners: Everything You Need To Know To Get Your Zen On!
In this blog post, we’re going to be talking to you about meditation for beginners. At Pure Within ,we LOVE all things related to healthy living, and believe that fostering thriving mental and emotional states are part and parcel of healthy living. If you aren’t sure how meditation can benefit you, or where to begin your meditation journey, this blog is for you.
First, we’ll look at what meditation is, what the benefits are, the different kinds of meditation available, what you’ll need to meditate, and then we’ll point you in the right direction so you can learn how to meditate.
Meditation For Beginners: What Is Meditation?
In short, meditation is an activity that when done regularly becomes a tool for quietening the mind, regulating breath to calm the nervous system, and enjoying inner peace. It assists the person doing the meditation in achieving mental clarity, heightened awareness, and emotional calmness.
When practiced over the long-term, meditation becomes a useful skill in allowing us to observe how events and experiences in the world unfold, with compassion and without judgement. While monks and lifetime yogis can spend hours and even days in meditation, meditation for beginners often only requires as little as five minutes a day.
Meditation For Beginners: Benefits You Can Look Forward To
While advanced meditation techniques can help people transcend boundaries of space and time, expand consciousness, and become one with the universe, here are 9 simple, science-based benefits of meditation for beginners that we’re excited to share with you. We’re sure everyone could do with more of all the below:
1. Meditation fosters feelings of kindness, positivity, and compassion for yourself and others.
2. Meditation reduces high blood pressure thanks to its stress-relieving properties, and the more you meditate, the healthier your blood pressure levels get.
3. Meditation helps you sleep better. Most people who battle to sleep, struggle because of stressful thoughts that keep them awake at night. Because meditation has a calming effect, it helps improve quality of sleep.
4. Meditation can assist in pain reduction thanks to the body’s ability to “turn down the volume” on pain messages in the brain. Meditation activates certain parts of the brain that respond to pain.
5. Meditation can help you break addictions to food, alcohol, tobacco, coffee, prescription meds, and even illegal drugs. This is due to meditation’s effect on the brain to stimulate the prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain that is known as the pleasure centre. Meditation trains your brain and stimulates it to feel a natural, happy high.
6. Meditation can enhance your long term memory. It calms your mind and enhances your brain’s receptivity, creates new synaptic functions, and improves your brain chemistry, all of which allow for you to retain more information for longer periods.
7. Meditation can increase your attention span because it helps train the mind to focus for longer periods, and improve our attentiveness.
8. Meditation promotes more self-awareness. By accessing the stillness and peace within, we begin to notice more about ourselves, and it’s common to develop better emotional intelligence, self-discipline, optimism, mental and emotional flexibility, and improve the quality of the choices we make for ourselves.
9. Meditation promotes emotional wellbeing and reduces anxiety. Because meditation helps us reach more focus, peace, and calmness within, establishing a regular practice greatly impacts depression and negativity in the best way, thanks to the beneficial changes it brings to the chemistry of the brain.
Meditation For Beginners: The Many Different Kinds
There are so many different types of meditation available that all allow you to explore different aspects of yourself. Each person is different and so will benefit from something that fits what they’re looking to accomplish. Here are just a few of the different kinds of meditation you can begin to try out and see which feels more useful to you and your life.
– Focused attention
– Body scanning
– Heart space activation
– Resting awareness
– Chakra balancing
– Sound journey
Meditation For Beginners: What You’ll Need To Meditate
The short and sweet of it is that you only need yourself. Some people love to set up a dedicated sacred space for themselves with items that mean a lot to them and symbolise certain things… others like to burn incense and light candles and play music… but if push comes to shove, all you need is a quiet place and some time alone. If you’d like to meditate with others, there are always group meditations happening so see if you can find one in your area or online if that idea is up your alley. Alternatively, start a weekly meditation group with your best buds so you can all embark on your journey to wellness together.
Meditation For Beginners: How To Meditate
Since there are so many different kinds of meditation, it would be an endless task to write a “how-to” on them all. Pure Within does, however, recommend you visit Omvana where you can learn more about meditation for beginners. They have a wonderfully vast library of resources on meditations for anything you want to achieve in life, whether it’s better health, increased happiness, enlightenment attainment, money manifestation, or help falling sleep.
Meditation For Beginners: At The End Of The Day
We hope that after reading this blog, that you understand the benefits of meditation for beginners, and that we’ve encouraged, inspired, assured, and confirmed that if you want wellness in your life permanently, meditation is a smart step in the right direction.
The benefits are numerous, it’s free, and there is a meditation available to help anyone, anywhere, anytime. Teach your kids to meditate with you and watch them grow up to be happy, healthy-hearted humans.